Todd Rating: 9.8
- 1 5-6 lb chicken, thawed
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 small or 1 medium onion, chopped
- Olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 425*.
2. Remove the giblets and whatever nasty stuff is stuffed inside the chicken.
3. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
4. Liberally salt and pepper the entire chicken, inside and out, massaging the S&P into the skin/meat with your fingers. This is what gives the chicken a great crust!
5. Grease a 9x12 casserole dish and place the chicken inside, breast up.
6. Stuff the inside of the chicken with the quartered lemon.
7. Surround the chicken with all the veggies. Drizzle the olive oil, garlic and S&P over them.
8. Tie the drumsticks together with a bit of twine to ensure that the chicken will cook evenly and that the lemons won't fall out.
9. Tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. If you leave them sticking out, they will cook too quickly and will burn!
10. Roast for about 1 1/2 hours or until the juice runs clear when you cut in between the leg and body of the chicken. (You can see where I cut into mine!)
11. Let the chicken sit for 10-20 minutes. If you cut too soon, all the juices will drip out! While you wait, if you want to make a gravy from the drippings, you can do that now.
... And maybe one day I will get around to making a post on how to carve your chicken. :)