What makes soup so perfect in cool weather? This Fresh Pea Soup was adapted from one of Ina's recipes so I knew it would be good. This soup has the perfect balance of sweet and salty. It is also nice and light so it would be perfect in the summertime as well. I added some leftover Christmas ham to make it like the pea soups of my childhood. Yummy!
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 c chopped celery
- 2 c chopped onion
- 4 c chicken stock
- 2 boxes frozen peas
- 1 1/2 tsp dried crushed mint
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 c chopped ham
- 1/2 c chives, for garnishing
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Saute the celery and onion until translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Off the heat, add the S&P and mint.
- Puree the soup. I used an immersion blender but you can also use a food processor or a blender. You can puree it until it is as smooth or chunky as you like it. I left a few small lumps in there for texture.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and stir in the ham. Heat for a few minutes on low heat to warm the ham.
- Garnish with chives, if desired.