I have been searching for a tasty and easy meatball recipe for years. Finally the searching has stopped with the help of Alton Brown's oven meatballs. Super simple and no turning in the frying pan. You just smush the ingredients together and bake.
And the sweet and sour sauce? This was a winner the first time we tried it. Not only is it yummy but it only requires three ingredients!
These Sweet & Sour Meatballs would be great as an appetizer with some cute toothpicks or as an easy weekday meal over rice or pasta.
Todd Rating: 8.6
- 2 lbs ground meat (I used ground turkey)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, divided
- 1 12 oz bottle of chili sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 c grape jelly
1. Preheat the oven to 400* and line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.
2. Place your meat in a bowl. I let mine sit out for a bit so that it wouldn't be super cold when I go to mix it by hand.
3. Combine the meat with the cheese, egg, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes and half the bread crumbs. Use your hands to combine; do not smush! (Don't forget to take your rings off too!)
4. Place the remaining bread crumbs in a small bowl or plate.
5. Form 1 inch balls with the meat and roll in the remaining bread crumbs. Place on the lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
7. While the meatballs are baking, combine the chili sauce, lemon juice and grape jelly in the slow cooker. (You can also do this stove top or microwave.) Heat until the jelly has melted and everything is combined and nice and hot.
8. Add the meatballs to the sauce and that's it!