Several months ago, as in way before spring break, a coworker, Johanna, asked me to refinish a rocking horse for her first grandchild. She gave me free creative reign to do whatever I wanted, which was really nice. She only requested a fleur de lis somewhere on the horse and neutral colors. Way past spring break, I was finally able to get started on the project. Since then, I have been doing a coat here, a coat there- slowly getting the horsie finished. It is now mid-May and complete! Good things take a lot of time, right? :)
We started with a blank slate. Johanna's husband made some repairs to the horse before we got it. Todd sanded it over spring break...
... and then I primed it and painted it with a gorgeous cream called Belle Grove Antique White by Valspar in Satin finish.
I used scrapbooking paper with a gold, cream and black color scheme to create a design on the back of the horse, the bottom "treads" and the handles. I used Mod Podge to adhere the paper and even more to create a protective layer on top.
Since Johanna requested a fleur de lis somewhere on the horse, I purchased two fleur de lis wood pieces from the craft store and painted them with a Martha Stewart metallic acrylic paint in Black Nickel. I used superglue to stick them to the sides of the horse. I like how the golds accent the fancy fleur de lis! I also like how the fleur de lis that I selected is rounder in shape, creating a more child-like vibe.
For the hair, I used ribbon. I found a canvas ribbon and a gold glitter one. I used gold plated nails to attach the ribbon for the horse's mane. For the tail, I also used ribbon. I looped the ribbon instead of having the cut ends showing because I didn't want to deal with hemming the edges.
Since there was a huge hole left by the previous hair, I superglued a large wooden button on top.
To finish it off, I used a spray polyurethane (before applying the ribbon). Here is the final product:
If you enjoyed this project, check out the Rocking Zebra we did two years ago: